Friday 7 October 2022

Relationships are Key

 Thinking about the process rather than the product has been helpful for me. Something clicked and sharing the process of what I do when I am facilitating online seems like an okay thing to do. That and the idea of small, simple and regular blog posts. None of it seems like rocket science but...

I am "becoming a documentarian of what I do" Austin Kleon.



Connecting Regularly

Connecting regularly with teachers I facilitate in class online is an important part of what I do. Keeping the connection regular focused and simple. I am on a Google Meet once a week at an agreed day and time. I get to be part of the class from my desk. To support this connection I am in regular contact. This both helps to build good relationships and keeps the facilitation front of mind.

Tracking Doc

We have a Google doc that I use to record and track what I do each week. Usually, this consists of very brief notes with a link to content on the Class Site. The Class Site is a Google Site where all teaching is held for the year. Learners bookmark this and teachers add to the site over the year. As well as the notes there might be an action point for the teacher or myself. I add a comment with my own or the teacher's email so a reminder is sent. The tracking doc is a way to collect together all information and ensure ideas and links are there as a rewindable resource to go back to as needed.

Gmail

As a way to ask a question that needs a bit of explanation and a timely response, I find Gmail is my go-to. We use Google Workspace so yes, we use Google Apps. Having one subject and making sure this is in the subject line makes it logical and easy to find again.

Just in Time 

I use Google chat as an immediate and quick way to connect with a teacher. Really useful when one of us is on the Meet and the other has not arrived yet. This a good way to inform the person we are running late or something has come up and we cannot Meet or perhaps we are having issues joining the Meet. Schools are busy places. All that just-in-time communication needs a channel.

Phone Call

When a teacher does not turn up to the Meet and does not respond to my chat message, I ring the school office, explain the situation and ask if the teacher is available. At this point, I might find out the teacher is sick or on a school trip. It happens. There is always next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment