Wednesday 25 September 2024

Film Festival


I have been working with teachers to support them in creating films for the Manaiakalani Film Festival.

Many have worked independently and have only needed a few prompts to get over the line.

I created this resource based on the work of Naomi Toland and using resources from the Manaiakalani teacher resources.



In August I led a Toolkit entitled Movie-making - Tools, Tips and Teacher Strategies. 14 teachers attended this and we walked through the process of taking a story idea to a visual portrayal and then a storyboard. 


I have supported one teacher step by step. Firstly in teaching her and her learners to create a film using WeVideo. From there she was keen to sign up for the Film Festival and openly said, "I will need lots of help".

We worked together on each part of the process. I am so proud of her giving it a go and what she has created with her learners. 

I have dived into the details and learnt more about storyboarding. I have underrated this important step in the past and now I would spend more time planning and getting feedback from others before diving into filming. This quote from Paerangi | Video 2 | What Makes a Good Story?  really resonated with me:

“...can you tell your story through images?.... so wherever possible 'show' rather than 'tell' and think about images carrying as much of the story, if not more, than dialogue.”


It is exciting to be part of the Film Festival and while I have cheered on and supported before, this is the first time I have walked the whole process from whoa to go. 




The Manaiakalani Film Festival will be shown on 13 November at Sylvia Park. At the same time, teachers will release their films on their class blogs for comments.

I'm so looking forward to all those learners seeing themselves on the big screen. For some, it will be their first time in a movie theatre!

No comments:

Post a Comment